Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Sobering Thought...

We don't have any news to share, so I decided to share some thoughts I've been wrestling with lately. As I think about how excited and anxious we are to have more children join our family...I am reminded that in order for this to happen, another family is experiencing overwhelming sadness and grief. For reasons we currently don't know, another family must make the difficult decision to relinquish their parental rights. There are approximately 5 million orphans in Ethiopia alone which also means there are millions of families that have suffered in ways we can't begin to explain. A mom and a dad half-a-world away from here will be making the most difficult decision of their lives...to place their child for adoption...and we will be thrilled to become their "new" mom and dad. That is a sobering thought for me to come to terms with.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw your blog address on the KC-ICA email. We also live in KC, and brought home our son in May. I remember very well the mix of excitement and sadness when we received our referral (almost a year ago) as I read all of our son's history and the tragedy that led him to us. Blessings to you, and I cannot wait to hear of your referral.
    Shonda
    Godwilladd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri and Craig, We also live in the KC area and recently adopted from Ethiopia. We have three bio kids and adopted two sisters. I completely connect with your thoughts. We have been there too! I highly encourage you to look at waiting children sites connected to your agency (we used CHI). We were not originally considered as a referral for our girls because they just barely exceeded our age range, but when we saw their pic and requested to be considered, it was granted. They have been home for 9 months now and I can't even describe how great it is!!! Check out our blog: koningfamily.blogspot.com. We would love to meet you all sometime. We love to share how GREAT and EVIDENT God has been throughout our adoption experience.

    Audra Koning

    ReplyDelete